THE ARABIDOPSIS INFORMATION PORTAL (PREVIEW 2) IS NOW LIVE!
2nd Apr 2014
The Arabidopsis Information Portal (AIP) is a new resource to bring together the ever-increasing amounts of Arabidopsis data into a single, user-friendly location using the latest web technologies and web services. It will adopt a modular, federated model to ensure responsibility for generation and maintenance of valuable data remains in the hands of the individual data providers, and spreading the burden of supporting these resources across a potentially very wide range of funding agencies and countries.
The AIP will be developed by a team with deep experience in scientific infrastructure, data integration, and community engagement, and will take advantage of significant NSF investments in the plant biology research community. Key elements of the new AIP include:
- The development of modular, community-extensible web-based interface that will include user work spaces that can be configured with data retrieval, analysis, and visualisation applications.
- Implementation of an Arabidopsis-specific instance of InterMine, a data integration platform that is widely accepted in the animal model organism database community
- The design and construction of a web services layer that facilitates data access, integration with iPlant Collaborative resources, federation with other data providers, and development of analytical workflows.
- A sustainability strategy that embraces adoption of existing scientific infrastructure, use of virtualization, federated provision of data, collaborative development of new resources, and pursuit of alternative funding sources.
- Provision of a foundation for multi-agency, multi-national collaboration in building and funding biological informatics capabilities.
To explore AIP Preview 2, including the ThaleMine web app, go to: https://www.araport.org/